Reporting Computer Crimes
The Wells Police Department encourages citizens to report computer crime. Computer crimes are those in which a computer is used as an instrument in committing, or assisting in the commission of a crime, or in which the computer is a target of a criminal act.
Computer and Internet crimes are constantly evolving and the Wells Police Department maintains updated resources in the field of computer crime and computer crime prevention.
Types of Computer Crimes
Crimes involving computers include, but are not limited to:
- Harassing Email, Instant Messages, and social media messages.
- Theft / Fraud, including auction fraud, ponzi schemes, and Nigerian fraud schemes
- Identity Theft and Phishing
- Criminal Invasion of Computer Privacy
- Soliciting a Child by a Computer to Commit a Prohibited Act
- Criminal Threatening