SITE SOURCE: http://www.maine.gov/sos/news/2018/rcvoutreach.html
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, May 14, 2018
Contact: Kristen Schulze Muszynski
Secretary Dunlap adds animation, final rules to ranked-choice website, begins outreach tour
AUGUSTA – The final rules governing the tabulation of ranked-choice voting ballots are now available on the Maine Department of the Secretary of State website, along with an animated video that shows how the tabulation will work. On June 12, 2018, this method of voting will be used for the first time ever in a statewide election as voters cast their ballots in the Primary Election.
“These are the final components of our ranked-choice voting resources webpage, which we are providing so that voters can educate themselves about this new process before going to the polls or marking their absentee ballots,” said Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap. “I also look forward to meeting with voters to discuss this information with them during my visits this month.”
The RCV Resources page offers several informational resources for voters who are seeking to educate themselves about ranked-choice voting:
- The final version of the rules that will govern tabulation of the votes
- An animation explaining how the ranked-choice ballot can be marked and the tabulation
- Sample ballots for the four ranked-choice voting races
- Sample marked ballots with explanations of how such markings will be tabulated
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- A printable PDF “RCV Fact Sheet” for voters to review and share with others
- An implementation plan showing the department’s progress and preparation
- A timeline showing how the State of Maine came to use this voting method
In addition to these resources online, Secretary Dunlap will be offering an educational presentation and QnA session in five public outreach events this month:
- Biddeford: Monday, May 14, 4-6 p.m., McArthur Public Library, 270 Main Street
- Bangor: Tuesday, May 15, 4-6 p.m., Bangor Public Library, 145 Harlow Street
- Presque Isle: Monday, May 21, 4-6 p.m., Mark & Emily Turner Memorial Public Library, 39 2nd Street
- Lewiston: Tuesday, May 29, 4-6 p.m. Lewiston Public Library, 200 Lisbon St.
- Online via Facebook LIVE on Thursday, May 24 at 6 p.m., on the Maine Department of the Secretary of State Facebook page.